Monday, April 26, 2010

I Think God Smokes Weed

Music and Lyrics by David Fowler
Arranged and performed by Echo Movement

Behind the Song
Ok...before anything, it's important to note that Echo Movement is a secular band. Many of us are actually free thinkers. And beyond an ethical foundation, religions simply don't make sense to us. As for the church...well, that's a very creepy corporation, in our opinions.

Just behind this song's fun tone lies a tight message poking fun at humans and religions. It's also a big f-u to the uptight conservatives (better than mashing a stress ball). We personally recognize our governing superior as nature (credit Frank Lloyd Wright), and cannabis is a botanical constituent of that nature...thus, it is not unreasonable to recognize cannabis as an element of our actual biology, especially since its found its way into so many of our ancestors' lives.

The chorus was written in Fall '08, presented to the band and arranged for recording. It almost never saw the light of day, at least in the form we all know it. We knew it was risky, edgy and defining (for better or worse). We talked with family and friends before releasing the song, and ultimately released it in hopes it would entertain our fans and provoke cool discussions. It has.

Cool Facts
The last part of the song is a dubbed-out instrumental bed reserved as a time of reflection, especially for those hearing the song for their first time. If you listen closely to this part, you can hear a massive hit from a bubbler followed by construction elements in the percussion rhythm- we recorded a socket wrench, a drill, sanding blocks and a few other tools from our garage.

Key Phrase
"Every time we rock the ganja, so does he."

Music and Lyrics
I think god smokes weed
Ab Db
And he was high when he made me
C Fm
I can feel it in my DNA
Db Cm Fm Eb
I think god smokes weed
Ab Db
And he was high when he made me
C Fm
And I think he gave up halfway
Db Cm Fm


Before I was complete, as I understand
Fm
God was making a mess of the man he planned
In the face of defeat, he smoked a helping hand
And said, "I'll just put him in a reggae band"
I feel it in the beat when I'm on the stand
I feel it in my feet when I'm in the sand
I see it in the sunsets that might expand
Into your mind, so you'll understand...
Eb

[chorus]

Back in Catholic school, to my memory
They made me feel [like] a fool through humility
They said that god's infallible consistently
Except for the one time he dropped that seed
I hear that god's in you and me and all we see
Assuming all the actions of my own body
If that's the way it is, than you must agree
Every time we rock the ganja, so does he

No comments:

Post a Comment