Sunday, May 9, 2010

Some Girls Are Crazy

Music and Lyrics by David Fowler
Arranged and performed by Echo Movement

Behind the Song
It's science. Actually, I believe it's hormone-fueled psychology. That, and it's trendy for a girl to be a bit nuts. Need proof that it's trendy? Get two soundsystems in one room. At the same time, play Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood through one system and Crazy Bitch by Buckcherry through the other. Keep volumes low to prevent death.

Of course, the term of endearment wouldn't be "crazy" unless women, themselves, willingly admitted they occasionally leave their element. Most will proudly admit they're crazy when asked from a safe distance. So it's confirmed from both sexes that some girls are, in fact, crazy. Let's not get into why, let's just calmly move on.

The original inspiration for this song came in early 2008, when my long-term girlfriend suddenly and ruthlessly left me for her best friend's fiance (can't make that stuff up). Pretty nuts, right? Needless to say, the original lyrics were quite offensive and definitely not right for Echo Movement. So she left me and it was pretty rough, but I did get a great song out of it. And if by some freak chance she ever reads this......hi! Thanks for the song and I hope all is well in the 9th Circle of Hell.

I clearly wrote this song for myself, but the chorus is written from another dude's perspective. Perhaps, and most likely, I wrote it from my own brother's perspective, especially since he would ultimately be singing it. It's what I wanted to hear, but nobody was saying these exact words...so I said it to myself. Steve added "brother" and "bro" to the chorus line (it was originally "boy").

The verses came together on 4/20/2009. I wrote them on the back of a cereal box while my girlfriend (my new young, beautiful girlfriend) was driving us to a friend's show. The new verses were broader and more directed towards several girls I've had the honor to know...including the second verse for the one driving.

Cool Facts
The song was originally called "All Girls Are Crazy." When I read the lyrics to my new girlfriend, she was pretty offended. The band unanimously agreed it'd be best to soften the blow to "some."

Just after the second chorus, you can hear the main piano riff lifted from Biz Markie's hit "Just A Friend."

Key Phrase
"Crazy eyes and lies arise, they hypnotize...so it seems my girl's a wreck, just in disguise."

Music and Lyrics (chords over lyrics)
Bb
Don't be no fool brother
Eb F
Some girls are crazy
Bb
You work three jobs
Eb F
And she still calls you lazy
Bb
Don't be no fool bro
Eb F
Some girls are crazy
Bb
They have a way
Eb F
To make that fine line so hazy

Bb Eb F
A little back I met a girl, she's like a jewel
Bb Eb F
But in time I've come to realize she's not that cool
Eb Cm
She got makeup she caked on her soul
A dim D7
When it rains she just loses control
Gm Cm
In her mono-maniacal role
Eb F
She digs her own hole

[chorus]

My new girl keeps a lot of guys she calls "just friends"
But I see through a shady eye what each intends
Her phone rings in the mid of the night
She picks up to a drunken invite
And gets pissed when it causes a fight
My veins ignite

[chorus]

Crazy eyes and lies arise, they hypnotize
So it seems my girl's a wreck, just in disguise
She got caught in the web of her lies
I'll find time to undo all my ties
And as sure as the sun will rise
I plan my goodbyes

No comments:

Post a Comment