Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Day After Chill

Music by David Fowler
Arranged and performed by Echo Movement

Behind the Song

Sometimes good ideas come at inconvenient times. I was driving, and had to take out a few cars to get into the next parking lot, a Game Stop. I recorded the main melody of The Day After Chill it into an old cell phone. Oddly enough, the panic and mayhem on the road resulted in a sweet little tune about chillin' out.

Lyrically, the song is about the time we spend as a band on the road. We have off some days, so we most-often check into a campground in the backwoods of who-knows-where. We don't know anybody for hundreds of miles. Since the shows are often chaotic and loud environments, we welcome the solitude.

The true soul of this song is in the recording. It was recorded live in Jay Alders' living room while he was painting the album cover in the next room (his studio at the time). We moved a ton of our studio gear a few miles down the road to his house, and invited a few friends and girlfriends over for the recording. It took a few takes, but what's on the album is the actual recording from that room.
Cool Facts
Instruments in the room - singing (Steve & Dave), ukulele (Dave), bass (Dan), guitar (Ed), flute (Matty Peks), congas/bongos/percussion (Colin), shakers (Steve), sand blocks (Rob).

"You keep on knocking but you can't come in" is a lyric borrowed from Keep On Knockin, a tune written by Perry Bradford and made popular by Little Richard. Other melodies, and the song on a whole, were largely inspired by The Young Rascals' Groovin'.

The title The Day After Chill is a little play on words. It was originally inspired by The Morning-After Pill, which is kind of a "chill pill" after a night of uninsured excitement...much akin to the thrills we get when we play a killer show. We don't pop pills, so our chill is the herb.

Key Phrase
"Nowhere I need to go." Alternately, "Know where I need to go."

Music and Lyrics (chords over lyrics)
F Gm
Chillin
Ain't got no place to go
Ain't got no one I know
I'm just chillin
Illin
Nowhere I need to go
Waiting for the next day's show
I'm just chillin

I hear the phone ringing, really don't care
I know the noise you're bringing, leave it out there
Am Bb C C+
I really don't give a damn when I hear from you

Chillin
Ain't got no place to go
Ain't got no one I know
I'm just chillin
Hanging around the day
Nowhere I need to go
Waiting for the next day's show
I'm just chillin

I'm taking a personal day, that's how I win
You keep on knocking but you can't come in
I really don't wanna move if I don't have to

No comments:

Post a Comment