Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Soul-Searching Drive

Music by David Fowler
Arranged and performed by Echo Movement

Behind the Song

This bottom-heavy dub track was largely written in the car and pieced together later in the studio. My winter of '08/'09 was defined in a series of these late-night car rides. The winters at the Jersey Shore are quaint, peaceful and just down to the townies. The roads are wide open and good for cruising...and cruising is great for deep thought. Maybe it's the white noise from the road or blasting your favorite music. Maybe it's the feeling of movement, even when there's no real place to go.

Cool Facts
The lead instrument is a melodica borrowed from Jay Alders.

To get that oscillating white noise effect, we used a Roland RE-301 (circa mid-70s) with a spring reverb and tape delay. This unit is the follow-up to the famous Space Echo (a legendary unity in reggae), and capable of producing its own self-generated noises that we thought vaguely resembled spacey road noise.

Key Phrase
"To a place I won't arrive, on my soul-searching drive."

Music and Lyrics (chords over lyrics)
Am G
The bass is in my trunk
Am
Light another funk
G
I'm my own nomadic tribe
C
On the road is where I vibe
G
And I'm cruising aimlessly
Am
Dream there's somewhere I gotta be
G
To a place I won't arrive
Am
On my soul-searching drive

So I'm going till I'm gone
Got my sunglasses on
You know it's still too bright
In the middle of the night
And I conjugate my plea
That she's waiting there for me
And I keep my love alive
On my soul-searching drive

No comments:

Post a Comment